I started the year with the intention of finishing a draft of my novel. I wrote a post on finding time to write, well, making excuses.
It took me a few months to get out of my own way.
I made excuses about not having enough time, but I had plenty.
What I lacked, above everything, was organization.
I fixed this in small steps.
- I moved my weekly whiteboard into the bedroom, where I would see it every morning and evening.
- I set a daily goal. 500 a day, Monday through Friday. Or 2500 a week.
- I write for 30 minutes during my lunch break.
- The words get typed up every evening.
- Word count gets marked on the whiteboard. If I fall short, I subtract the word count from 500 and put up that number. If I go over, I write by how much.
With this routine, I wrote around 50,000 in about three months.
Now I’m going to try the same approach with exercise, and see how it works.